The Challenges Of Surrogacy In The UK
At first glance, choosing a US agency to find a surrogate instead of simply finding an agency closer to home may seem like an unnecessary hoop to jump through. However, even though surrogacy is legal in the UK there are several challenges that make UK surrogacy difficult, such as:
- A UK surrogate is considered the legal mother: According to UK law, the surrogate mother is the legal mother of the baby, whether or not any surrogacy agreements were made and irrespective of genetics.
For the parents to become the legal parents of the baby, a parental order must be made. This law can make things tricky if the surrogate suddenly decides to keep the baby.
- There are no surrogacy agencies in the UK: Commercial surrogacy is illegal in the UK, so there are no UK agencies that match parents with surrogates. As a result, there’s nobody to guide new parents or people who want to become surrogates through the legal challenges and general process of surrogacy.
- It’s illegal for parents to advertise for a surrogate: Not only are there no agencies to help match parents with potential surrogates, but parents aren’t allowed to advertise for a surrogate in the UK. As such, finding a surrogate is incredibly difficult.
- There’s a high demand for surrogates: If finding a surrogate wasn’t hard enough, there’s been a significant increase in demand for surrogates over the past few years. This means it is increasingly difficult to find a surrogate in the UK.
Why Choose Surrogacy With US Agencies
Surrogacy in the UK is challenging, so you may want to consider international surrogacy. However, there are several things to keep in mind when contemplating this option.
For instance, every country has its own surrogacy laws. In many countries throughout Europe, surrogacy is illegal. A lot of countries view surrogacy as a form of human trafficking, especially if it’s commercial surrogacy.
In countries where surrogacy is legal, there may be ethical concerns about the process. For example, there are some reports of women being forced into or underpaid for their surrogacy services and even some countries have a history of human trafficking through surrogacy.
It is also important to consider the healthcare system in the country of surrogacy. You’ll want to make sure the surrogate’s health and the baby’s health won’t be in danger at any point, which is why you’ll want to choose a surrogate in a country that has a sound healthcare system.
With all of this in mind, you’ll find that US surrogacy is your best option. The following are some of the primary reasons to choose surrogacy in the US:
Cutting-Edge American Technology In Surrogacy
The US has world-renowned medical care and technology. It should therefore come as no surprise that the US is leading the way in surrogacy technology and bioethics.
The best in vitro fertilization (IVF) technology and practices are implemented in the US, helping to ensure that the surrogate won’t experience complications during pregnancy and that the surrogate and the baby remain healthy following birth.
Access to an excellent healthcare system can reduce the risk of complications during the pregnancy and help ensure that the surrogate can give birth again in the future should she want to start her own family.
High Standards Of Service From US Surrogacy Agencies
When it comes to surrogacy, US surrogacy agencies have some of the highest standards in the world. By maintaining these standards, intended parents and surrogates can safely pursue a surrogacy journey. These high standards include:
- Rigorous screening procedures to check the personal physical and psychological health of the surrogate, as well as the medical and family history. Potential candidates also undergo drug testing.
- Strict eligibility criteria to keep everyone as safe as possible. Women who apply to become surrogates must be between the ages of 21 and 40, financially stable, have no criminal background, and have at least one prior uncomplicated pregnancy (and cannot have had more than three previous C-section deliveries).
- Detailed analysis to ensure that the surrogate and the parents are a good match for each other.
- Strict deadlines regarding screenings, check-ups, appointments, parental transfer, and more to ensure that the process goes smoothly.
- The surrogate and the baby have access to one of the best healthcare systems in the world throughout the entire surrogacy process. This can help minimize the risk of complications and help ensure the pregnancy is successful.
- US agencies understand the legal process for surrogacy in every state as well as what is required to ensure the parental order is recognized in the UK.
Surrogacy-Friendly Laws In
When it comes to surrogacy, there are no federal laws. Instead, the legalities of surrogacy are left up to each individual state.
The majority of US states are surrogacy-friendly. A reliable international surrogacy agency can help ensure that you are connected with a surrogate mother in a state where laws regarding surrogacy are less restrictive.
Start Exploring Your Options As Intended Parents
UK parents seeking a surrogate mother should strongly consider choosing an international surrogacy agency in the US. Although the benefits of doing so are clear to see, you may have some questions about the costs. Reach out to us at Family Inceptions to get a better idea about the cost of international surrogacy and to begin planning your US surrogacy today.
How Family Inceptions Can Help With International Surrogacy
Here at Family Inceptions, we have years of experience helping connect international parents with surrogates in the US. Not only are we familiar with the ins and outs of the surrogacy laws in every US state, but we also understand the UK laws.
As such, we can address all legal considerations for any international arrangements, from parentage orders to securing a passport for your baby so you can take your baby home with you as soon after the birth as possible.
You Can Trust Us To Take Care Of Your Surrogacy Needs
It can’t be overstated how important it is to work with a surrogacy agency you trust. Not only to ensure your money is in safe hands but to also ensure the surrogates and egg donors are treated well and that nobody is taken advantage of.
At Family Inceptions, our goal is to help parents, surrogates, and egg donors alike and empower them with the information they need to make the right decision.
An agency like ours wouldn’t last long without a stellar reputation – and we are proud of our reputation and what we have achieved since 2008. Check out our testimonials and reach out to us with any questions. You’ll find that we are one of the most trusted international surrogacy agencies in the US.
We’re Here To Help Intended Parents Like You
We have worked with many international parents and individuals. We believe that everyone deserves to build a family, no matter their age, race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or nationality. We take great care to match a suitable surrogate with the right parents.
We also understand that the process can be very emotional and stressful, which is why we make ourselves available at any time to provide support where needed.
We Take Good Care of Our Surrogates
Few people can be considered as selfless as the women who volunteer to be surrogate mothers. They are willing to provide a way to help others build a family. However, surrogacy can take quite a toll on a woman, both physically and emotionally.
As such, we believe it’s of utmost importance that our surrogates receive the best care and support possible. We manage the legal, financial, and medical aspects of the surrogacy journey to make the surrogacy process as stress-free as possible.
We Choose Generous
Egg donors are crucial to the IVF process, and we have great respect for any woman who makes the selfless decision to donate her eggs. We do everything we can to make the donation process as comfortable and straightforward as possible for our donors, and also to educate them properly and compensate them fairly.