On today’s episode of Fertility Cafe, we explore everything you need to know about surrogacy for gay parents. With advancements in assisted reproductive technology and expanded access to family-building resources for the LGBTQ community, it’s fully possible for gay men to have their own biological children. More gay men are turning to parenthood via surrogacy than ever before. Host Eloise Drane dives into how surrogacy works for gay men and what they can expect from the process.
We cover the entire process, taking you from the very basics of baby-making in the not-so-traditional way, to the egg donor and surrogate selection process, and beyond. We’ll talk through an overview of what a surrogacy journey entails, from start to finish, with a special emphasis on how gay men experience it.
Episode highlights include:
- A crash course in anatomy and human reproduction: we’ll follow the path of an egg and how IVF is used to create an embryo in the lab.
- The ins and outs of finding an egg donor—should you use an egg bank or ask a friend or family member to be your donor? What characteristics should you look for in an egg donor?
- How do you decide which partner’s sperm to use?
- What’s the difference between working with a surrogacy agency vs. going the independent route?
- What makes someone a good surrogate, and how do you find your perfect match?
- An overview of legal issues faced by gay men in the United States
Links for more resources
- Learn more about our podcast: Fertility Cafe
- Learn more about our surrogacy and egg donation agency: Family Inceptions
- Learn more about independent surrogacy: Surrogacy Roadmap
On the blog: Same-Sex Couples and Surrogacy
Rate, Review, and Subscribe!
We would be honored if you took the time to rate and review our podcast! And of course, don’t forget to hit that Subscribe button to have new episodes delivered straight to your feed!