Surrogacy in the United States is a popular option for international intended parents seeking to grow their families. With its advanced medical technology, experienced professionals, and clear legal framework, the U.S. offers a reliable and secure environment for surrogacy. This guide covers critical aspects of U.S. surrogacy for international intended parents, including the process, legal considerations, costs, and finding the right support.
1. Understanding the U.S. Surrogacy Process
The surrogacy process in the United States typically involves the following stages:
- Selecting a surrogate (or gestational carrier) through an agency or independent search
- Completing medical and psychological consultations/evaluations for both the intended parents and surrogate
- Embryo creation (using the intended parents’ or donors’ eggs and sperm)
- Drafting and signing a legal gestational surrogacy agreement
- Embryo transfer
- Prenatal care and ongoing communication between all parties
- Birth of the child and establishment of parental rights
2. Legal Considerations for International Intended Parents
U.S. surrogacy laws vary by state, with some states having well-established legal frameworks that protect the rights of intended parents and surrogates. As an international intended parent, it’s crucial to work with an experienced surrogacy attorney who understands the specific laws in the state where your surrogate resides.
Additionally, you will need to consider the legal requirements for obtaining citizenship and/or a passport for your child in your home country. Consult with an immigration attorney or your country’s consulate or embassy for guidance on this process.
3. Costs Associated with U.S. Surrogacy
Surrogacy in the United States can be expensive, with costs ranging from $140,000 to $190,000 or more. These costs typically include agency fees, surrogate compensation and expenses, medical and legal fees, and any additional costs related to travel and accommodations for international intended parents. It’s essential to budget accordingly and explore potential financing options if needed.
4. Finding the Right Professionals to Support Your Journey
A successful surrogacy journey often relies on the expertise of various professionals, including:
- Surrogacy agencies: These organizations help match intended parents with suitable surrogates and provide ongoing support throughout the process.
- Fertility clinics: Clinics specializing in assisted reproductive technology (ART) are necessary for creating embryos and managing the medical aspects of surrogacy.
- Surrogacy attorneys: Experienced attorneys help draft surrogacy agreements, navigate state laws, and establish parental rights.
- Mental health professionals: Complete psychological consultation for intended parents, surrogate evaluations, and provide ongoing emotional support and guidance for both intended parents and surrogates.
Researching and selecting reputable professionals is crucial to ensuring a smooth and successful U.S. surrogacy experience.
5. Preparing for Your U.S. Surrogacy Journey
As an international intended parent, there are several steps you can take to prepare for your surrogacy journey in the United States:
- Research U.S. surrogacy laws and the legal requirements for obtaining citizenship for your child in your home country
- Consult with experienced professionals, such as surrogacy agencies, fertility clinics, and attorneys
- Develop a clear communication plan with your surrogate and professionals involved in the process
- Budget for the costs associated with U.S. surrogacy and explore financing options if needed
Surrogacy in the United States offers a reliable and secure path to parenthood for international intended parents. By understanding the process, legal considerations, costs, and finding the right professionals to support your journey, you can navigate U.S. surrogacy with confidence and bring home the precious gift of a child.
Family Inceptions is the ideal surrogacy agency for international intended parents seeking a smooth and successful journey. With expertise in international surrogacy, extensive surrogate screening, personalized matching, comprehensive support services, legal expertise, a global network of partners, and high success rates, Family Inceptions ensures a seamless experience. Their dedicated team prioritizes safety, well-being, and personalized care, guiding you through the complexities of international surrogacy to fulfill your dream of becoming parents. Trust Family Inceptions to make your path to parenthood a joyful and memorable one.
Tune in to the most recent episode of Fertility Café to hear from Intended Parents from abroad, Charlie and Tom Farrant. We talk about their experience navigating infertility issues, coping with the attitudes surrounding third-party reproduction in the UK, and then investigating how they would pursue having a baby via surrogacy in the States.